Saturday, September 5, 2009

I know Korean (Hangul)

Just kidding. Ja Kuhl Hangul.

First observations about Korea:

1- The pervasive rumors about Koreans and Kim Chi are completely credible. Kim Chi is more of a food staple than rice.

2- Korean folk are extremely kind and generous, especially if you respect their social norms (which predominantly involve group oriented behavior and adding the correct ending to a sentence to show respect for someone's age).

3- Although they have a coin that is worth less than a penny, throwing it away in repugnance makes observation #2 null. I never did, but it was a prevalent joke at orientation in the orient.

4- Korean's seem to really care about their health.

Supporting evidence:

If someone has a cough then that person wears a mask all day and may even be quarantined. At first I thought it was because I was among a large group of foreigners that could be bringing a new sickness from overseas, but then I saw people in my rural town of Goseong wearing masks! Also, every day my temperature is taken before I can enter my school. Contemporary Korean cinema reflects the cultural concern for disease; a major point of horror and suspense in the first Korean film I saw in Korea was a mysterious "virus" (The Host).

At nearly every meal in "traditional" restaurants the server brings antiseptic wet cloths before serving the food. Also, most Korean's are proud to say they eat very healthy food, and from what I have seen most Korean cuisine is very healthy (check out the stats on Kim Chi!). However, there are some outstanding contradictions to this cultural value of health and prevention.

Several public toilets had wastebaskets for toilet paper disposal. Human fecal matter exposed to the open air is pretty bad, but then when I asked about bringing your own toilet paper around some Korean's have said that it's kosher to re-use found toilet paper if there isn't any available in the restroom, thereby rendering the face mask all but useless in preventing the spread of disease. Also, as I walk around Goseong, every so often I sourly wonder if the sewer system is open to the air. I don't mind being asked to take my temperature before coming to school... but I don't really like that they stick a thermometer in my ear that has been used all morning in everyone else's ear. Their swine flu prevention is incredible, but they welcome ear infections. Lastly, because I don't want to sound like too much of a jerk for pointing out contradictions, I've eaten several meals where chicken and pork are brought raw and definitely not always cooked completely. Not the biggest deal... but cause for some concern.

4- Korean's seem to be very pragmatic. It wouldn't necessarily be pleasant to wear a mask around when you have the flu, but I imagine it helps prevent the spread of infectious disease (when combined with other sanitary living conditions). Korean cars have a second rear-view mirror... it is attached to the back window so that the driver can see what is behind the car. There is a need for this kind of control because of the space restrictions; insert cliche statement that is cliche because its so true. Nevertheless, pretty simple, sleek, and safe mirror. I say safe very precariously when it comes to Korean drivers...

5- The EPIK program (English Program in Korea) attracts a widddeee variety of folks from all over the world. More on this later?

If you have questions or demand more observations... please behest.

2 comments:

  1. When I worked for Honda in Western Ohio, I noticed a similar situation with the face masks. In the early 1990's, there were many temporary Japanese (JT) workers that would help in the Ohio factory on a rotational basis, each for a couple months at a time. They displayed the same behavior with the masks. It was not uncommon to see a JT wearing a mask. I asked one of the 'permanent' Japanese that had worked in Ohio for a few years (their english was better) why they were worn. He replied it was a courtesy for the betterment of the group to help prevent spreading the virus, even though it may be inconvenient/uncomfortable for the individual. What a noble and pragmatic convention I thought. As the years passed, I question how much each Individual took it to heart because I never saw any of the 'permanent' Japanese workers wearing a mask when they got a cold. Did they become Americanized?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note: Daniel's Mom is actually Uncle Chris, as I used Mary's Blog account.

    ReplyDelete